Monday, March 5, 2012

What I liked best

If life imitates art, then when we die an angel who bears a striking resemblance to Nicholas Cage will ask us what we liked best.  On my list I will have to include Sunday morning swims at Barton Springs.  Yesterday's swim was perfect.  When we arrived the air temperature was 39 degrees, so there was a generous layer of mist over the water.  From the very start my stroke felt strong and smooth.  I swam over one large fish who stayed with me for a bit and passed several ducks who didn't seem at all fazed by our presence.  Later, as the sun rose over the Austin skyline, sunlight began streaming through the blue-green water creating an ethereal effect.  Since there were only one or two other swimmers, we raced our ninth lap without fear of collision; in the end I was able to hold off Anthony and finished half a body length ahead.  All of which begs the question: what's the point of becoming a proficient swimmer if you only swim in pools?

This morning I swam at Nitro with Anthony, Tom, Steve, Jeff, Tricia, and Jordan.  Stephen coached.

500 swim
5 x 100 kick with fins @ 1:30
5 x 100 @ 1:30, averaged 1:12; swam this as a transition set
5 x 100 kick with fins @ 1:30
5 x 100 pull @ 1:20, averaged 1:08s
1 x 500, swam this moderate (En2) and went 6:13; I was very happy with this swim
5 x 100 @ 1:15, held 1:10-1:11, felt strong on the first four
100 easy

No comments:

Post a Comment