Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Rehab

"We get old all at once
And it comes like a punch
In the gut, in the back, in the face." 

The Airborne Toxic Event, All At Once.

Last Monday I swam at Life Time in the indoor 25 meter pool despite continued discomfort in the region of my right rhomboid major.  I went 3300 meters, including a strong set of 6 x 300 @ 4:30, averaging 4:10.  The discomfort was tolerable while I was swimming, but I experienced significantly more pain when I finished.  Against my better judgment I scheduled an appointment the following day with a chiropractor who has treated many of the local triathletes as well as a few of my training partners at Nitro. I actually felt better after some deep tissue massage, but then he decided to work on my spine.  Unlike physicians, chiropractors believe that misalignment of the spine contributes to many common afflictions, and he proceeded to "realign" my vertebral column, rendering me speechless (and breathless) in the process.  This was followed by ten useless minutes of "e-stim" and a few more minutes of ultrasound therapy.  I was in agony on the drive home, and I was in so much pain that evening that I was unable to find any comfortable position whatsoever; I found myself considering the possibility that my swimming "career" was at an end. 

I decided to rest the next four days and stayed out of the water and away from the weight room.  I stretched, applied ice, and continued twice daily dosing of Aleve.  The discomfort gradually returned to a more tolerable level, just about where it was before my Monday evening swim.  I swam at Nitro on Saturday morning but kept the pace moderate and applied ice immediately after practice.  Since Barton Springs was closed on Sunday due to the recent heavy rains, I rested again but continued my routine of stretching, ice, and Aleve. 

I swam at Nitro yesterday morning with David, Steve, Zach, Jeff, and Anthony.  Jordan coached.  The discomfort was tolerable.

400 swim, 300 pull, 200 kick, 100 swim
5 x (1 x 200 @ 2:40/1 x 50 @ :40), held 2:30 on the 200s (En2) and felt smooth
6 x 125 @ 1:50, averaged 1:31
200 easy

This morning I swam with Steve, David, Jeff, and Kirk.  Jordan coached again.  I have noticed that I experience more discomfort when I stop than I do while I am actually swimming.  I am beginning to think that this may be more of a tendinitis than a muscle strain. 

200 SKIPS
6 x (1 x 25 kick @ :30/1 x 50 swim @ :45)
5 x 200 @ 3:00, swam these a bit faster than En2 and averaged 2:27
6 x (1 x 50 kick @ 1:00/1 x 100 swim @ 1:40); I swam the 100s free instead of IM and held 1:11s with moderate effort
100 easy

No comments:

Post a Comment