Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pain management

I have been nursing a minor injury to my right rhomboid major the past few days; I believe that this is simply a strain and have decided to swim through it as I have done in the past.  I first noticed it on Sunday after swimming at Barton Springs with Anthony and David.  As always we raced our ninth lap, and Anthony and I finished together, passing David near the finish.  I was really digging deep over the last 50 meters and had begun breathing every stroke to my strong (left) side at that point--another reason why bilateral breathing is so important. 

I had an early morning meeting in Austin on Monday morning, so I swam at Life Time in the indoor 25 meter pool.  I managed close to 3000 meters but was experiencing a fair amount of pain toward the end of a set of 6 x 200s @ 3:00.  I still averaged 2:46 (En2).  I had another early morning meeting yesterday so I swam at Life Time in the late afternoon.  I had skipped weights Monday evening but was still feeling some pain; consequently, I limited my workout to about 1400 meters.

This morning I swam at Nitro with Anthony, Zach, David, and Ron.  Jordan coached.  I was still sore but feeling a bit better thanks to Aleve and a massage last night. 

400 swim, 100 kick, 200 pull
1 x 500, broken :10 at 50/100/50/.100/50/100/50, went 6:05 after subtracting the rest.  Didn't push this too hard.
10 x 50 kick @ 1:00
6 x 100, 1 & 2 @ 1:25, 3 & 4 @ 1:15, 5 & 6 @ 1:25, made them but again didn't push too hard on these
1 x 500, broken as before, went 5:52 after subtracting the rest; this was a better effort and felt pretty good;  I was breathing more to my weak (right) side which takes pressure off of the ipsilateral rhomboid major
10 x 50 pull @ :45, cruised these with a buoy but no paddles
100 easy

Overall I would say that my injury is better, so I will stay in the water this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment