Monday, November 28, 2011

So long, James...

Nitro teammate, coach, and professional triathlete James Cotter has returned to his native New Zealand where he will be training for the next six months.  He will be missed.  I wish him the best of luck and look forward to his return to Austin in the spring.  Last Wednesday was his final day on deck, and as always it was a challenging workout.  I swam with Anthony, David, and Steve.  We swam a short transition set of 8 x 25 followed by the main set which consisted of 4 x (1 x 200 @ 2:30, 2 x 100 @ 1:15, 2 x 50 @ :40).  I struggled through this but made the intervals. 

On Thursday I swam 4000 yards at Barton Springs with David, Anthony, and Scott.  The air temperature was in the upper 50s, but my Xterrra wetsuit kept me warm. 

I swam at Nitro on Friday with David and Jackie.  Tom coached.  The pool was set up long course.  The main set was one that I had suggested--30 x 100 @ 1:40, no additional rest.  I was able to hold 1:23s for all thirty of these, :03 slower than my 1500 race pace but a very strong effort nonetheless.  I would like to swim this set again in a few months.

Yesterday I swam at Life Time in the indoor 25 meter pool.  I had considered swimming at Barton Springs, but a cold front had passed through leaving behind temperatures in the 40s with a strong breeze.  After a warm up and a transition set of 50s, I swam 30 x 50 @ :45, holding :39s, a very solid effort.   

This morning I swam at Nitro with Anthony and David.  Stephen coached.  The focus was on technique, but the workout was still challenging enough.

400 swim, 400 pull, 200 kick, 100 choice
8 x 50 @ 1:05, odds free kick on side, evens back kick on side
10 x 200: 1-5 odds one arm freestyle, evens one arm backstroke @ 3:30; 6-10 odds free @ 2:40, evens back @ 3:30.  I swam 6, 8, and 10 moderate (En2) focussing on technique and averaged 2:30.
100 easy

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Craig! Did you see the beautiful 50m out door pool I will start swimming in tomorrow?
    All the best with the double swims.
    -James

    ReplyDelete