Sunday, November 21, 2010

DAM meet results

Swam in the DAM scm meet on Saturday which was held in the indoor 25 meter pool of the Baylor Tom Landry Fitness Center.  Nice facility with a reasonably fast pool.  This year the meet had a one day format, so the 1500 was the first event, at 7:30, immediately after warm ups which began at 7:00.  This created some challenges with respect to pre-meet nutrition.  I was up before 5:00 and had an Odwalla mango smoothie, a coffee, and a Cliff bar at the hotel.  This seemed to be adequate, at least for the 1500, but it was not enough to carry me through the morning until the 400 free, the last event (although I had another Cliff bar and a large container of Pure Sport recovery drink).  I only had about ten minutes after warming up (400 free, 6 x 50 @ 1:00 drill/swim, 5 x 50 @ 1:00 holding :38s --1500 race pace, 100 easy) before my heat for the 1500 was on the blocks.  I wore a pair of Aquablade jammers, which are very comfortable, and had shaved from the waist up.

My time was a 20:02.29, slower than my 1650 in February (a shorter distance) and not as fast as I would have liked.  My first three 400s were split pretty evenly--5:18, 5:20, 5:21--but then I split a 2:42 for the next 200 and lost my chance at breaking 20:00.  Currently this time ranks 9th nationally, but I doubt it will hold up.

I swam the 400 free a few hours later after warming up another 3-400.  My pace 50s were off, so I knew this race would be a struggle.  The second  Cliff bar was just not enough, and the facility had closed its snack bar.  I did manage to break 5:00 with a 4:56.89, but it felt more like a 200 in terms of the level of discomfort.  I have not seen my splits yet.

I plan to re-taper for zones in San Antonio in two weeks where the 400 will be the first event.  I believe that I can shave some time off and will try to break 4:50.  I also plan to swim the 800, the last event after the relays, where I think I may have an outside shot at top ten on the basis of the times posted nationally thus far.  I will need to be under 10:20 if not faster, but it does appear that everyone is slower this year without the tech suits.

No comments:

Post a Comment