Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Breakthrough

Slept poorly due to a persistent cough, so I missed the 5:30 workout at Nitro. Since the morning was quiet, I slipped away around 10:30 to swim at Life Time in the indoor 25 meter pool.

500 swim
500 pull breathing 3/5/3/7/3
3 x 200 @ 3:15, averaged 2:47
3 x 200 @ 3:00, averaged 2:45
3 x 200 @ 2:50, went 2:40, 2:42, 2:41...my best set of short course 200s yet. I was joined on two of these by a former Masters swimmer named Wayne, 59, who swam for University of Washington and trains at Life Time regularly.
100 easy

Actually found time to write the first paragraph of Peer Review, then received a free smoothie from Jamba Juice courtesy of one of the pharmaceutical reps, so it turned out to be a pretty good day. As Tom Hanks said in Cast Away, "Who knows what the tide could bring?"

It was hot that summer, even by Houston standards. Years earlier, during my rotation as a third year medical student at Jefferson Davis Hospital, which for reasons that were never clear to me combined obstetrics with the city’s only tuberculosis ward, we were taught that everyone in Houston has night sweats (a classic symptom of the disease according to our textbooks). While I never learned why the Allen brothers decided, during the month of August no less, to build a city on the muddy banks of Buffalo Bayou, I do know this: when we first arrived in Houston from the Bay Area, my sister threw up.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the great set! Did a set of 200's (yards) the other day at about the same times, which is definitely a breakthrough for an Old Fxxt like me! Enjoyed and concur with your comments in the 70% entry a few days ago. It's refreshing to have a doctor confirm what a lot of us have suspected for awhile. What a mess! The best care in the world, totally mis-applied and inefficient. We'll just have to see how this all plays out. All the best from New Bern to you and your family. Keep the great posts coming!

    -Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bob. Great hearing from you, and I'm glad that your swimming is going well. Say hi to Frank, Mark, Greta, Hans, Andrea, et al.

    ReplyDelete